Monday, May 26, 2008

A Virtual Room of One’s Own


Hong Kong

Karry is a young, native Hong Kong-er with an old soul. We were talking about her facebook page, her favorite discoveries on the internet, how she feels about her online relationships, when she mentioned a quote she had read recently: “The internet is God; it knows everything.”

It does seem to know a lot…especially about Karry. Online is the place where she goes to write about her inner most feelings, thoughts, frustrations, observations and stories. She explained that she posts her ‘very private’ blog, even a book she’s done, on the internet. The subject matter is so sensitive, she has told only a few of her closest friends about the sites. It might seem strange that something so private should be put into such a public space.

I was surprised to find out that she’d be happy for everyone, even other friends, to ‘find’ her work and to read her blogs. “I am not comfortable going '–hey read this,' to my family or co-workers because if it makes them uncomfortable or offended I have to deal with it. But if you’re searching online and find my blog ‘out there’ that’s ok. And if you don’t like it….that’s your problem. I didn’t ask you to read it.”

I never thought about my role and responsibility as a reader: sometimes I’m invited to admire, even participate, sometimes I’m simply a voyeur peering-in at my own risk.

Online is a liberating, accessible place to think, write, create… but it’s also a quiet sanctuary for bold self-expression: a place to speak one’s mind without second-guessing, without feeling burdened or responsible for someone’s negative reaction. This also implies that it’s an amazing platform for powerful connections…


The Truth: whether you’re a blog or a brand, the key to connecting is being not afraid to take a stand and have a genuine point of view.

No comments: