Monday, June 16, 2008

Escapism

Work can get to you at times. And it’s when my mind seems strained to breaking point and my body feels lethargic from days of inactivity that I take out my Enfield. The first kick and the acquiescing roar of the engine satisfy every jarring nerve in my aching head. It’s hard to put in words the liberation a long ride gives me. I usually hound out the most secluded road possible. As the glacial traffic of the city yields to the open river like roads on the outskirts I feel all my anxiety being flushed out of my head.

And once the roads turn entirely desolate, I fish out my mobile phone , select my favorite rock and ride on. The GPS enabled on my phone tells me where I am and I remain untroubled by considerations of losing my way. I halt when I see a picturesque hill contrasted with vermillion sky. I sit down and watch the last rays of sunlight lose their battle to an ominous darkness.

If some worm crawls back into my skull and irks me regarding my work, I access the internet for a few brief moments through my phone and once the bug has been satiated I resume my visual meditation. As darkness settles I can see the lights of the city in the distance and the lava like stream of traffic flowing through. It is an intensely satisfying feeling to be so far away from all that has irritated me for a week and yet to carry it all.

If you come over to my apartment you’ll see innumerable pictures that have captured all these moments for me.

 I often wish I could embark on a longer trip. It takes a lot of planning and then leaving work behind always worries me. But then I reassure myself knowing that I can carry most of my work with me.

Maybe I'll take that long trip sometime soon, carry my work, my music and my map with me on that small device.

Opportunity: Help him get away without having to get on his bike. Bring beautiful worlds into his cubicle, his living room, his everyday life.

No comments: