Monday, June 16, 2008

Whole world in his hands


Once we got talking, Avinash wasn’t that stiff and dry a person I thought he was.

He walked into the cafeteria…hair unruly… with a bag on his shoulders…a little too big to be a college bag. And then that’s what I asked him first… “you going somewhere…is it?” and he said “no…” puzzled thinking what made me say that” …and then read the look on my face and said “oh!...the bag??… I like to carry what I love with me all the time” …and “what’s that? ” I said … my books and music. And he shared with me some amazing books on design…and a really interesting looking diary in which I saw some of his sketches and writings. That bag was like a sneak peak into him.

While we were chatting his cell must’ve rung a million times, and we started talking about how cell phones can get so bugging sometimes…

And after all that cribbing he say’s …“but honestly I feel somewhat incomplete without it” …“may be because I stay on my own here.”  Cell phone is the only way he can keep in touch with his parents and sister back home. And then he snapped out of that emotional state he’d slipped into and started telling me about his miserable bus ride to work without his phone which has all his music…he feels he gets pushed around more…people stink extra bad…feels hotter than usual the day he for some reason doesn’t have his phone. He say’s “it’s strange how I find no problem in going through all that with my headphones plugged in”

He then starts talking about how he totally loves SMSing …and talks about this girl in office he likes and since he doesn’t want to make it obvious to people… so every time he steps out of office and wants her to join…he sends her an SMS. 

He finds it much easier to express with SMSs. 

“If I’ve had a bad day at work and im  feeling low… I like to just scroll through some of the old msgs….pictures…helps me pull myself together”

He tells me how he’s not a gizmo freak at all… he checks his mail once a while on his cell… but mostly he likes to have fun with his phone… he likes his fav music to be on it....sets different ring tones for people(Especially a funny one for his boss).

As we were sipping the last sip of our second cup of coffee,,, this tall, ‘not so serious eyed guy’ anymore

Wrapped up the conversation saying “…then it’s important for me to send ‘her’ a gnite msg also right ! “

He was a real fun person to talk to …not like what id thought he would be when he walked in…shook hands and said a cold ‘hi!’

Opportunity: The mobile phone is the youngster’s lifeline. He carries (or wants to carry) his whole life in this little device. He turns to it for relaxation, connectivity, entertainment, casual fun, emotional strength even. How many more worlds can we help him pack in there?

Post author: Vinaina Suri


No comments: